It was a Sunday afternoon, we were hungry, we had very little food in the house and didn't want to go out to eat. It was under those circumstances that this creation was born.
It is truly the poor college student's dream. Cheap, easy, fast, delicious and healthier than the alternative!
Makes 4 Servings
- 6 Turkey Hot Dogs
- 90 Second Red Beans & Rice
- Can of whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- Can of great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in nonstick pan over medium high.
- Cut turkey hot dogs in half-inch pieces.
- Add sliced dogs to heated pan and stir occasionally throughout process.
- Microwave rice as directed.
- Combine corn and beans in strainer and rinse with water.
- Heat combined corn and beans in microwave for 60 seconds.
- Add rice and cooked turkey hot dogs to corn and beans, mix together and enjoy!
Nutrition & Cost per Serving
465 calories, 20g protein, 50g carbohydrates, 18g fat, 1100mg sodium, $1.50 per serving
Comparison to Popeye's Red Beans and Rice:
690 calories, 21g protein, 69g carbohydrates, 42g fat, 1740mg sodium, $3.99 per serving